Ambigrams and Symbiotograms  

Posted by Divya A L in ,


An ambigram is something that appears the same even when inverted. I first came across Ambigrams in the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. However i hadn't realised how hard it is to write such a thing, especially when the words are in total dissymmetry (one has to literally look at things from different angles :P) until i found one in orkut written by Arjun, one of my friends in B.E. Absolute brilliant work i must say.

After seeing those, i had this strong urge of trying out few and started scribbling on a sheet of paper. I chose to create an Ambigram of my name (quite natural you see ;) ). To my dismay i didn't even succeed 1% except for the letter "i". I then chose one of my close friend's name, which had a little symmetry atleast. To my surprise, i could come up with an ambigram in just 15 min. Well, so here goes my very first ambigram.

After a few days, i came up with 2 more ambigrams of slightly challenging words. Its really interesting to write these. Gives loads of work to the brain and eyes :) and one can utilize their creativity to the core.

There is another category of ambigrams called "Symbiotograms". They are similar to ambigrams, however when read upside down, they form different words from the original. You must have seen doormats that reads "WELCOME" on entering and the same mat reads "THANKYOU" on exit. This is an example of Symbiotogram. Today i tried writing a symbiotogram and i succeeded. And this time, i have my name and my best friend's name in it :) :) :)

Here goes my 1st symbiotogram with my name inclusive ;)


Below is the inverted image of the symbiotogram:

My friend says it can be written better using photoshop or a gimp editor (open source tool). Since i haven't used either earlier, i used the classic paint brush for this. :) I am enjoying this a lot. Wish i come up with many more of ambigrams and its subsets. :) There are also free ambigram generators available on the net. Click here.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 at Monday, March 23, 2009 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

9 comments

Hey too good..

March 24, 2009 at 9:18 AM

@soumya: Thank you!!! :)

March 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM

By the way what was that name where you said it was ur first Ambigram?..I couldnt read it..;-) haha..Just kidding..;)
Now you are becoming an expert in this..Maybe time to advertise this and charge ppl for it..:):)

March 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM

@Dilip: I bet you will be a marketing guru one of these days which is not far off... And i shall always be your permanent customer :P

March 25, 2009 at 10:56 PM

hey you need to look at things from differnt angles not angels... :D

March 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM

@Juni: Corrected boss!! ;)

March 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM
Anonymous  

Fantastic work ya...why don u start writing each and evry word in the same manner...

March 30, 2009 at 12:53 PM

@prashanth: Each and every word i wil write provided u pay me some royalty for tht ;)

March 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
March 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Post a Comment