Self portraits  

Posted by Divya A L in ,


Dhrupad's self portraits! While I have picked up well on drawing in my Note 8, my son wanted to try it too. When asked what he'd like to paint, he said, "I want to paint myself".
In 10 minutes time, the picture on the left was ready. I saved it immediately ;)
He started to share details of the pic. 
He: "Mom, look, I am wearing the orange dress and a green T-shirt . I used to wear them when I was small.".
Me:" Wow, wonderful, is this small Dhrupad? But are you also wearing an orange mask?"
He: "No, but my skin color matched closely with only this color on this phone!"
Me: "Oh ok, never mind. Why are your eyes yellow in color?"
He: " No, it is light yellow. My eyes are not as white as the color here offers"
Me: "ok, closest match! Ok cool. Why dont you have any hair on your head?"
He: "Do you remember that you got my head shaven when I was small? So I have not drawn it here"
Honestly I didnt remember!
Me: "Why dont you have fingers in your hands and toes on your legs?"
He: "Mama, I was small then. So my hands feet and fingers were all small. See closely, you'll be able to see tiny tiny fists"
Me: "Ahaaa! I see... Ok, how do you look now?"
He immediately snatched the phone from me and started drawing further. As he drew he mumbled - "Now this is BIG Dhrupad!" As he said that, he extended his hands and legs that became the picture on the right.

Within no time, the current Dhrupad's portrait was ready. It was v hilarious and cute to watch the way he buddy extended the hands and legs and introduced bigger fists and feet (which he called fingers and toes!) I laughed my lungs out.

After a while I realized, it really did look like the grown up version. When I applied deeper thought, dont you think, the solutions to some problems can be as simple as this. We generally end up overthinking and bring in all other irrelevant things into picture. I awed at the simplicity of the thought, focus on what really was required and how beautifully it was achieved.

However, I still wanted to suggest some improvisations over the picture.
Me: "You've forgotten to draw the hair of grown up Dhrupad"
He quickly went to the mirror looked up and told me,"Mom, dont you remember, Dad cut my hair that day (he still doesnt know weeks, days etc). See, my hair is hardly visible now!!"

Well, the hair aspect was not overlooked after all. All the stuff were thought out in those few seconds to draw out a beautiful second self portrait!! Lot to learn from kiddos!! The real and natural things they know so much better than we grown ups and we try to teach them to be aware of the mishaps that can be caused due to man invented ideas and things.  If not for the things that society demands,  there is nothing that an adult can teach the kid. They are quite natural at knowing what to do, when,  socializing,  sympathizing and almost everything! The human instincts are at their best. 

This entry was posted on Friday, April 17, 2020 at Friday, April 17, 2020 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment